Saxe Middle School is partnering with South Elementary and the Town of New Canaan to encourage students and families to begin walking or bicycling to school to promote healthy lifestyles (and ultimately reduce traffic in the Saxe, High School and South campus areas). For anyone wanting to participate who may live outside of “walking distance” from campus, the Center School Lot (South Avenue, Maple Street, Main Street) has been designated as a drop-off area. We hope students will wake up a few minutes earlier, have a hearty breakfast, and join in the fun with friends or families on the morning of Wednesday, October 6th (this is also National Walk/Bike to School Day). Grades 7 and 8 can plan to walk between 7:00 - 7:25, grades 5 and 6 between 7:55 - 8:20 and elementary students between 7:45 – 8:15.
In order to help make it a fun and safe event:
- Staff members will be stationed on the streets surrounding South & Saxe to greet walkers and direct them to safe places to cross.
- “Walk to School Day” signs will be posted on the neighboring streets to encourage motorists to drive slowly.
- Additional personnel from the police department and town will be stationed on the streets and at intersections. There will be extra coverage near any road construction.
- “Fill the Racks!” We have four bike rack areas, two outside the lower division entrance and two outside the main entrance, let's fill them all up! Bicycle riding to school is not only permitted, but encouraged. Bicyclists must walk their bikes across the street at appropriate crosswalks and please wear your helmets!
- Police and town personnel will be stationed on the streets at dismissal time for those students who will also walk home.