Effective October 14, 2020
Aquarion has issued a mandatory irrigation ban in New Canaan, Darien, Greenwich, Stamford, and Westport as southwest Fairfield County hits its third drought trigger this fall. This will help to ensure an adequate water supply for everyday needs and give water supplies time to recover for the spring. With cooler temperatures, irrigation system use is unnecessary at this time.
Turn Off Irrigation Systems for the Season
Recent rainfall from Hurricane Delta remnants did little to replenish water supplies. Effective immediately, the ban includes automatic irrigation systems and hose-end sprinklers. As cooler temperatures have arrived, irrigation system use has become unnecessary. Consequently, all Aquarion-issued, irrigation variances are revoked for the season with this ban. Hand-held watering, soaker hose, and drip irrigation continue to be permitted for new plantings.
5 Ways to Use Water More Efficiently
Aquarion customers are also encouraged to use water more efficiently indoors with the following five tips:
- Turn off the water while lathering up, shaving, or brushing your teeth.
- Minimize baths and the amount of water you use for each. Trim one minute off the length of your showers.
- Wash only full loads in your dishwasher and washing machine.
- Hand wash dishes in a pan or the sink, not under continuous running water.
- Reuse dehumidifier water or use a bucket to capture shower and bath water while you wait for it to warm up; then use the water to water your plants.
Learn additional ways to conserve at www.aquarionwater.com/conserve.