The following is a message from Eversource regarding the gas expansion project:
Stamford to Norwalk Resiliency Project – Phase 2
At Eversource, we know our customers rely on us to deliver reliable energy every day, and it’s a responsibility we take seriously. Protecting and strengthening the natural gas distribution system is vital to achieving that goal, particularly as the demand for natural gas increases. That’s why we are investing an additional $8.5 million in this multi-phase resiliency project during 2020. Coupled with our everyday efforts, this investment is in our future and yours, to deliver reliable energy and superior customer service.
We’re pleased to share with you a summary of our second and final phase of resiliency work scheduled in Norwalk and New Canaan in 2020 to complete the Stamford to Norwalk Project.
During this final phase of the project, Eversource will be installing 2.9 miles of 12-inch steel gas pipeline to connect the natural gas distribution systems in Norwalk and New Canaan. This connection allows natural gas to flow between the communities, making sure that gas is always there when customers need it. Linking the two communities also offers potential access to natural gas in areas where clean efficient natural gas has not been an option.
Scope of work:
- Construction on Phase 2 is scheduled to begin during the week of April 6, 2020, and we anticipate concluding our work in October 2020.
- Our work includes the installation of 2.9 miles of 12-inch steel gas pipeline in Norwalk and New Canaan.
- Pipeline is to be constructed in the state’s rights-of-way. Most will occur in the road – resulting in minimal impacts to private property.
- Burns Construction has been awarded the contract and two crews will work on this final phase of the project.
- No road closures are expected. Vehicle flow will be managed through alternating one-way traffic in Norwalk and New Canaan.
- Traffic control, including flaggers and signage, will help maintain safe work zones and ensure unobstructed passage for emergency vehicles.
Keeping Customers Informed
- Eversource and its contractors will coordinate work with town officials and individual customers, where needed.
- Construction hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. All Eversource employees and contractors carry identification.
- Construction work will not take place on state holidays as well as the day before and after the holiday.