Holiday Fire Safety Tips
As the holiday season fast approaches, the New Canaan Fire Marshal’s Office wishes all residents a safe and healthy season and offers the following tips:
- Candles and holidays go hand in hand and add wonderful warmth to the festive atmosphere. Candles must be kept away from other combustible decorations and never be left unattended.
- Embers from fireplace ashes can remain hot for several days. If cleaning is necessary, use a proper metal container with tight fitting lid for disposal.
- Always use a fireplace screen to contain flying embers.
- Christmas trees must be kept watered so they remain moist.
- Make sure Christmas lights and other electrical fixtures are in good working order. Do not overload outlets.
- Outdoor lights should be plugged into GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlets.
- Space heaters must be properly plugged directly in to wall outlets and kept clear of combustibles.
- Make sure smoke and CO detectors are present and operating properly. If you have a security system with smoke detectors, make sure it has it been serviced in the past year.
- In the kitchen, use the timer on your phone to remind you of pots left on the stove.
The New Canaan Fire Marshal’s Office wishes everyone a safe and happy holiday season.
For questions regarding these tips or any fire safety questions please contact the Fire Marshal’s Office at 203-594-3030.