Story of Waveny

Story of Waveny House
Waveny House was constructed in 1912 for the Lewis Lapham family and sits majestically overlooking three hundred acres of Connecticut countryside. The House was designed by W. B. Tubbs of Greenwich. The gardens and grounds were laid out by Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., of Boston, a well-known landscape architect. Mrs. Lapham named Waveny House after Waveny River in England where Lapham ancestors had once lived.

Present Day
In August of 1967, the Town of New Canaan purchased Waveny Park from Mrs. Ruth Lapham Lloyd. The Park and the House serve as an outstanding community recreation area for the residents of the Town. It is open to the public and may be rented for a variety of functions through the New Canaan Recreation Department, which is located on the second floor of the House. The first floor of Waveny House consists of the grand hall, the library, sitting room, dining/breakfast room, billiard room, a patio which overlooks the beautiful grounds, and a complete commercial kitchen. On the second floor are four gracious rooms which are used for conferences and meetings.