Inland Wetlands Application Filing Instructions

Pursuant to Chapter 16 of the Town Code and the Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Rules and Regulations of the Town of New Canaan, activities in regulated areas affecting inland wetlands and watercourses may be permitted subject to the issuance of a permit by the Inland Wetlands Commission. These instructions are to assist applicants in preparing and filing an application for a permit.

A complete copy of the Inland Wetland and Watercourses Regulations is available for public inspection in the Commission's office in the Town Hall and may be purchased for $25.00.

You may also obtain a copy from this Web site at: Regulations

  1. Read the Regulations.

  2. Call to schedule a pre-application review appointment with the staff to discuss your proposed activity. Bring available maps, site plans, and other property information, in order to discuss the proposal. At this appointment a Checklist of those requirements for your specific project will be given to you.

  3. Prepare your application and provide all of the information that is required by the regulations, on the Application Form and those on the Checklist. Click here to be redirected to our Forms.

  4. In order for an application to be received by the Commission, all material must be submitted the Monday before the scheduled meeting of the Commission.  2021 Meeting Schedule

  5. Submit the original (with the completed Checklist) and fourteen (14) copies of the application form, complete with plans and all supporting documents, to the Commission's office, bundled into individual packages. All maps must be folded. (Only one copy is needed of the notification letters and certified mail receipts). Include your check, payable to the "Town of New Canaan" for the filing fee. To determine the fee, see the Fee Schedule. A receipt will be given to you, and an application number will be assigned.

 Legal Requirement Reminders:

Notification of Adjacent Property Owners

Adjacent property owners and those within 100 feet of the subject property must be notified via Certified Mail (see Section 8.3 (8) of the Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Regulations). A copy of the "Notice to Adjacent Property Owners Regarding Regulations and Policies for Applications, Public Hearings and Rights to Access Applicant's Properties" must be included with the letter of notification to adjacent property owners.

If the proposed regulated activity is located within 500 feet of a town boundary of another municipality, the applicant must provide written notice to the Inland Wetlands Agency of the other municipality, in accordance with Section 9.5 of the Regulations.

If any portion of the proposed regulated activity is located within the watershed of a public water supply company, the applicant shall give written notice, in accordance with Section 9.6 of the Regulations.

Kathleen Holland, Director Inland Wetlands and Watercourses, Floodplain Manager