Building Permit Requirements for Health Department
 building permit picture

If your home is on a septic system and you plan on remodeling, building an addition, or adding an accessory structure such as a barn or pool you must have a code complying reserve septic plan on file with the New Canaan Health department PRIOR to submitting your building permit. If you are unsure whether or not you need or have a code complying reserve septic plan (B100a) in your health department property file, please call (203) 594-3037 and the Health department staff will provide guidance on next steps in the process.

Depending on the scope of work & site limitations you may be required to hire a CT licensed professional engineer to conduct soil testing and submit a code complying septic plan. Other departments such as Inland Wetlands & DPW Engineering may be included in the septic plan review process if applicable for the building permit. The health department will make this determination if other departments are needed to review. 

The Health department does not review residential building permits for properties connected to public sewer unless the property has a private well.

Health department forms & checklists: