Guidelines for Signs
Front Lawn of Town Hall and Vine Cottage
Please email requests to:
Tom Stadler, Town Administrative Officer
1. Sign must be for a New Canaan community-oriented activity
2. Commercial signs are not permitted
3. Signs should generally not exceed 36 inches by 60 inches
4. Signs for events may generally be displayed for 14 days prior to the event
5. Signs for extended events/campaigns may be displayed during the term of the event/campaign up to a maximum of 60 days
6. All signs must be removed within 48 hours following the event or campaign
7. Signs may not be attached to the Town Hall or Vine Cottage buildings or the surrounding trees, signs, poles or benches
Railway Station Fence Rules
The following Guidelines for signs to be displayed on the fence at the Railway Station corner were approved by the Commission at its meeting of May 28, 1991.
- Each sign shall receive administrative approval from the Planning & Zoning Office at Irwin Park, 848 Weed Street, and a sticker shall be affixed to the sign showing the dates of posting and removal.
- All signs shall be attached only with push pins; no signs shall be nailed, screwed, tacked, stapled, taped or otherwise directly attached to the fence.
- No signs shall be attached by chains or otherwise to the trees or benches adjacent to the fence, nor shall any signs be allowed on the track side of the fence.
- No Commercial signs of any nature shall be displayed.
- All signs shall be for New Canaan community-oriented activities.
- Signs shall not exceed the following dimensions: Width 36 inches x Height 30 or 60 inches.
- No sign shall be displayed for more than 14 days prior to the event and must be removed within 48 hours following the event.
The Planning and Zoning staff will monitor the area on a regular basis, and remove any signs violating the guidelines. Signs removed will be disposed of within a reasonable time. Violators may be precluded from further use of the area.