1/7/2010 - Health & Human Services Commission to Recommend CCRC Policy
For Immediate Release
At the first Health and Human Services (H&HS) Commission meeting of 2010, First Selectman Jeb Walker asked Chairman Jim Lisher and the Commission to initiate a complete review of the idea of building a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) in New Canaan. Mr. Walker noted that meeting the needs of an ever expanding senior population is a critical public policy issue that should be fully analyzed by H&HS. The Commission will review:
- The key needs of aging in-place seniors and their impact on services available in town,
- The options available to senior residents living in the community for housing and healthcare.
- The needs for and benefits of a CCRC facility in New Canaan.
When the analysis is completed the Commission will develop recommendations concerning:
- The policy and service planning guidance for the Town for the next 10-15 years, including identifying the potential costs (social, cultural, economic and tax) of losing seniors from New Canaan,
- The optimum size and the best possible options to explore if a New Canaan CCRC is desirable,
- The key issues and concerns to be addressed in moving forward with a New Canaan based CCRC, and
- The feasibility of the proposal to build a CCRC within Waveny Park.
“ I believe “ Mr. Walker said “that the CCRC issue needs to be fully analyzed by the H&HS Commission and vetted with the community”. When the review is completed, the Commission’s report will be presented to all the appropriate town bodies for their review. The review is expected to be completed by May, 2010.