Wednesday, April 27, 2011
New Canaan High School
6:00AM - 8:00PM
You are hereby notified that, pursuant to Section C4-15 of the Town Charter, a Referendum for electors and qualifying taxpayers, in accordance with Section 7-6 and 9-369 et. seq. of the General Statutes of the State of Connecticut, will be held at the New Canaan High School, 11 Farm Road, New Canaan, Connecticut on April 27, 2011 from 6am until 8pm.
Voting Machines will be used and the vote shall be on the following question:
“Shall the action taken by the Town Council on February 16, 2011 approving a $4 million appropriation and bond resolution for the Town’s road network be repealed and overruled and returned to the Board of Finance for reconsideration?”
Absentee ballots will be available. Click here to download a application for an absentee ballot.
Who May Vote in the upcoming April 27, 2011 Referendum?
1. All electors registered to vote in the Town of New Canaan.
2. Property owners who are individually liable to the Town of New Canaan for taxes assessed against them on an assessment of not less than one thousand dollars as indicated on the last completed Grand List of the Town of New Canaan. The following conditions must also apply:
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must be a United States citizen
• Must not be an elector in the Town of New Canaan
• Must not have voted by absentee ballot in this referendum
• Must not have been convicted of a felony, or if so, voting rights have been restored
Special application forms for qualifying taxpayers are available at the Office of the Town Clerk, and will also be available at the polling place the day of the Referendum.
The Number of Votes Required for Repeal or Overrule by Referendum:
An affirmative action of the Town council shall not be repealed, nor a negative action overruled, unless the number of votes in favor of repeal or overrule shall be a majority of those voting AND equal to at least fifteen percent (15%) of the numbers of electors of the Town as determined by the last completed registry list.
At this time, 15% of the number of electors of the Town of New Canaan is equal to 1,850. The list of registered voters can change until the day before the referendum, and the 15% figure would change accordingly.
For more information about the referendum process, please contact: Claudia.Weber@newcanaanct.gov or 203-594-3070
For more information regarding voter registration issues please contact the Registrar of Voters 203-594-3060