Purpose and Powers of the Commission
* The Commission is created for the purpose of monitoring the activities and operations of public and private utilities servicing the residents and businesses of New Canaan to ensure that the needs of residences and businesses located in New Canaan are adequately met and that New Canaan's consumers' interests are represented before any applicable commission or agency having jurisdiction over the utility in question.
* Without limiting the generality of the foregoing purpose, the Commission shall have the right to receive complaints regarding utility service in New Canaan and to require and receive information and reports from town officials on a timely basis.
* The Commission is formed for the purpose of receiving and evaluating complaints and presenting its position and concerns to appropriate local and state agencies.
* The Commission may take a position on all issues involving a utility, including but not limited to quality, adequacy of supply and rate, which are raised before regional and town boards and commissions, and make that position known to the state's boards and agencies.
Utilities Commission Volunteer Members
Chairman - Howard Freeman
Secretary - Derek Bennett
COMMISSION FACILITIES AND PROGRAMS
The Commission coordinates with other Commissions and Departments to provide informational and technical support on matters related to power, gas, electric and telephony.
The Commission is set up into teams
• Cellular tower improvement
• Gas supply analysis
By town relationships
• Building commission
• Board of Selectmen
By external providers relationships
• CL&P Relations
• State agency Relations
DEPARTMENT FORMS AND APPLICATIONS
The Utilities Commission issues no forms. Applications for membership to the Commission must be addressed to Chairman, New Canaan Utilities Commission, 77 Main Street, New Canaan, CT 06840.
PUBLIC REQUESTS TO THE COMMISSION
To request information, give suggestions, or recommend some form of action, residents should state such requests in writing.
Address communications to:
New Canaan Utilities Commission
77 Main Street
New Canaan, CT 06840
Please include telephone numbers and, if available, e-mail addresses. Requests may also be made to the Commission by e-mail at Utilities.Commission@newcanaanct.gov
Click here to view our FAQ's.
Wireless Infrastructure Issue Summary
Natural Gas Infrastructure Issue Summary
Office of Emergency Management Utilities Issues Summary
Natural Gas Service Areas
Yankee Gas - New Canaan Service Information
Utility Commission Natural Gas Gate Station Recommendation to Parks and Rec
Click here to watch the 5/9 Special Meeting
2013 Annual Report
Proposed, Planned, or Approved Cell Towers
Transfer Station Proposal from AT&T
Norwalk Armory Docket
Clark Property Rejection by Verizon
Silver Hill Docket (approved 2/2/2012)
Cell Tower Planning Process Resources
CT Siting Council
CT Public Act 12-165 “AN ACT CONCERNING THE SITING COUNCIL”
CT Siting Council Telecommunications Database
CT Siting Council Pending Proceedings
CTSC Cell Tower Map
AntennaSearch.com Towers within 4mi of Town Hall
AntennaSearch.com Antennas within 4mi of Town Hall
Cell Phone and Cell Tower Health-Related Sources
CT Department of Public Health Cell Phone Fact Sheet
CT Siting Council EMF Guidelines
CT Siting Council EMF Sources
FCC Wireless Devices and Health Concerns
FCC Radio Frequency Safety FAQ
FCC Human Exposure to Radio Frequencies: Guidelines For Cellular and PCS Sites
FDA Radiation Emitting Products and Procedures
EU Scientific Committee on Emerging and Newly Identified Health Risks (SCENIHR)
German EMF Health Portal (English language)
World Health Organization Electromagnetic FIelds Home
Meeting Schedule, Agendas, and Minutes
If meeting minutes or agendas do not appear on this Web site, please contact the relevant board, commission or committee. Do not contact the webmaster of this site. Schedule of Meetings, Agendas & Minutes